The best way to keep your home and its residents safe is to mitigate potential security risks and take early action. Learning how to secure your home does not have to be difficult or complex. Use these tips to get started. Identify which strategies are most important to you then make a plan to implement the others later.
1. Use an In-Home Safe
If someone gets by your other home security strategies, make sure that your valuables are adequately protected. An in-home safe is a secure depository for everything—from jewelry to vital documents such as passports. Find a safe that is fire-resistant, waterproof, and heavy enough that a thief cannot leave with it.
Follow these suggestions to get the most protection from your safe:
- Look for options with redundant locks, or two locks per safe.
- Select a size that suits your valuables.
- Choose between a portable or anchored style.
Additionally, find an appropriate safe for any home firearms. Approximately 230,000 guns are stolen during household burglaries every year. A gun safe keeps weapons secure and away from others.
2. Lock Down the Wi-Fi Network
Your home wireless network is a backdoor to your personal and financial information. If you use home automation or your network is connected to smart home gadgets or home security systems, it can also provide direct access and make your house vulnerable to break-ins.
Keep others from accessing your network with the following suggestions:
- Secure your wireless router.
- Enable a Wi-Fi Protected Access (WAP) or WPA2 encryption.
- Rename and hide your home network.
- Use a firewall.
- Install antivirus and anti-malware software.
- Create strong passwords.
3. Secure the Garage
Always lock all doors—interior and exterior—to the garage to deter anyone from entering your home. You may also consider keeping all garage door openers in the house, so a burglar cannot remove it from outside vehicles. If you use a security code to open the garage, never enter it in the presence of delivery individuals or neighbors.
Here are some more easy ways to secure the garage:
- Upgrade to a smart garage door opener.
- Cover your windows to hide any interior items.
- Secure all garage doors with extra locks.
- Use home automation and never leave the garage door open.
- Secure any sliding glass doors with a security bar.